Friday 29 January 2016

Off the hook... Sea breeze cowl








There is a bit of a pattern emerging with my crochet hobby. It seems I mainly try new stitches and techniques early on in the year. Certainly my thoughts have all been about texture so far. On first glance this cowl doesn't look hugely different to bog standard double crochet but if you look closely at the fifth picture down you'll see it's actually crocheted knitting v stitch, otherwise known as camel stitch. The sixth picture is the reverse side which is also a nice texture.

I may try this same stitch in a plain chunky yarn, I have a feeling the stitches would show up much better. The yarn I used was Wendy Fusion, two balls I fished out of a sale bin somewhere for next to nothing simply because I liked the colours; this colour way is called 'White Pepper'.

Sea Breeze Cowl

Yarn: Wendy Fusion (a chunky yarn now discontinued)
Hook: 6mm

(cowl is made in continuous spiral which avoids visible seam)

Ch 90 and join to form a loop.
Row 1: htr to end
Row 2 onwards: htr into the third loop*

When yarn runs out or cowl is comfortable height, join with a slip stitch, weave in ends.

*There are various tutorials on the internet that show you how to find the third loop.


1 comment:

  1. Pretty cowl - both the pattern and the colours. And well done on mastering a new stitch. I love wearing a cowl in the winter, even indoors, in fact I am wearing one at this very moment!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete