Friday 24 June 2016

Hats as therapy...






So the mustard Knoll yarn became a hat, as planned. Not the smoothest yarn to work with but it made a comfy hat. I planned for a raw edge slouchy beanie but ended up adding a ribbed section. It's arctic quality now, deepest, darkest winter attire. Made in June, of course.

Sticking with the hat theme I somehow made four hats in four days. It was a case of; when in doubt, crochet hats. It's been a very sad week. A family thing. Heartbreaking.

I returned to a free pattern for the raised treble spiral design that I'd had trouble with previously. It went smoothly this time, working up quickly in Aran weight yarn and using up random leftovers. The pale grey yarn was leftover from the (shawl) wrap I made recently and the blue variegated left over from a cushion I made at the beginning of the year.

The fourth hat was made using a purchased pattern (from the same designer as the Sunday Shawl) via Etsy because I knew it would be well written and photographed and I love the look of raised treble basket weave! The pattern is written for several sizes so I'm hoping that I will have enough of the denim coloured Rowan Felted Tweed leftover to make one in a toddler size too. The yarn was quite fine to work with even though it's a DK yarn but the result feels beautifully luxurious. Note, all these hats look far better modelled on people but E has been ill these week with a nasty bug and we've had so much rain, so I'll try and take some photo's soon. With four hats it would be fun to find a nice back drop that wasn't our unruly garden hedges!

I'm behind on my CAL squares but it won't be difficult to catch up. I'm still frustratingly limited in how far I can walk and coupled with the fact that June has been such a wet month I can only really crochet the afternoons away can't I? In fact, as I type we are in the middle of yet another torrential downpour. Roll on summer!

3 comments:

  1. Hope your week gets better and that family life improves. The hats are wonderful, if I had to choose I think my favourite would be the mustard one such an eye catching colour. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the hats Juanita. The colours and textures are just great x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hat therapy. excellent idea x

    ReplyDelete