Saturday 4 January 2014

Small but beautiful...


I've been having a few adventures with blogger and passwords. Having hunted through and sorted out my bureau and various bookshelves and assorted drawers of miscellaneous sketch pads and notebooks I finally had a lightbulb moment in the small hours of this morning and located the small white notebook that contained all my passwords. Turns out it wasn't the password I was entering incorrectly it was the email address. Anyway, this is why I haven't been able to change things in my blog sidebar including my reading list.

This tatty little collection of pocket sized books has recently been reunited (after aforementioned notebook hunt) and I'm sure there are a few more tucked away somewhere. It all started when I bought Larkrise to Candleford, which I've read twice now and enjoyed thoroughly. I wonder who has the lucky job of finding literary gems to dramatise on TV? In this case the book has so much more detail than the television version.

Since then I've 'rescued' these tatty little volumes whenever I've spotted them. They often have inscriptions or names written inside. It's wonderful to think that a small book was given as a romantic gift... like this one...


The inscription inside makes me wonder whether they got married and lived happily ever after, or whether historical events got in the way...


Although it's tempting to read my favourite for a third time I think I might revisit Silas Marner by George Eliot which I didn't enjoy when we studied it for 'O' Level English. I'm hoping I will like it better now. If all else fails I will start The House with the Green Shutters by go George Douglas which I liked the look of for no other reason than the catchy title!


No comments:

Post a Comment