Friday 13 January 2012

All at sea...

I've just finished reading Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch on Kindle. I've only had the Kindle since last October and I've continued to read paperbacks as well. I'm not sure I'm a total convert yet. It's easier to take the Kindle when we're out and about; particularly if Mr H has a day off and we go to a nice cafe for lunch. Invariably he still has to take care of the many business calls, texts and emails, leaving me sitting like a lemon drinking my coffee whilst receiving sympathetic looks. Now I can whip out the Kindle and we just look like we've got a terrible marriage where we never speak instead!


In Jamrach's Menagerie I was transported right there, with Jaf, and the sights and smells of the docks. I loved the almost poetic language which carries you along a bit like being at sea. I won't spoil it if you haven't read it, but there's a nasty outcome of their voyage which was a tad unexpected, and so I ended the novel with a slightly downhearted feeling.

I've chosen something altogether lighter for my next Kindle read; Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain - the free sample drew me in. I like to mix it up and American novels are something of a guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment