Tuesday 31 January 2012

procrastinating...


Did you notice that basket of string in my last post? I tried crocheting with some last night. Ouch. It's painful! Hence, the bowl is only a shallow one, but handy for small things.

My childhood heroes were characters like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, the Famous Five, Swallows and Amazons... I loved the whole 'survival' thing. I'd pack up 'survival kits' which would contain a compass, matches, penknife and... yep, string.

Had I known how to macrame back then I would have been in my element. I got kicked out of a class when I was 13 where we were supposed to be making nightdresses (blurgh!), there was just too much pink, frilly stuff going on and I did not have a good relationship with fabric or sewing machines. Thank goodness my teacher put me in a corner with a huge reel of string and a 'learn to macrame' pamphlet. I should have been humiliated I guess but I'm ever grateful to Mrs Hall for that flash of inspiration.

I've rescued many a plastic beach bucket with a broken handle by making a new macrame handle. Similarly if we ever made an impromptu visit to the beach I could turn a plastic pot into a bucket in about 5 minutes... this one from several summers ago was made with some colourful shoelaces from outgrown shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment