Saturday 9 February 2013

Splashing out...

I seem to have reacquainted myself with Sue Townsend just recently. Last read circa 1980 something; the brilliant Adrian Mole of course. I had a vague idea that more Adrian Mole had been written but didn't have a strong desire to read what he had been up to at the age of 39. I didn't want to spoil that little bit of childhood magic.

Quite where I have been while other books of hers have been published I have no idea but I was tempted by 'The Woman who went to Bed for a Year' I mean who hasn't thought of doing that from time to time? You haven't? Oh, just me then.

It was a welcome light read and a funny one just when I needed it (rotten cold and other stresses). I won't spoil the ending for those of you that haven't read it but I was sad when I put it down and wanted more of the Townsend magic and humour.

A quick trip to Oxfam books and I picked up two more. Most definitely not themes that I would normally choose; Number Ten and Queen Camilla. In other words, politics and the royal family; not really my cup of tea for book subjects. I am a little way into Number Ten and loving it.

Incidentally, I really must consider attire other than worn in jeans when I browse my local Oxfam book store. I was asked if I needed any help and I explained that I was looking for anything by Sue Townsend. The helpful woman (of mature years) said that if I found any books that I could not afford today they could put them to one side and I could pay for them another day. I felt so extravagant buying two books for £2 each!


No comments:

Post a Comment